Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

...And so it begins

 
...And so it begins


What is a New Year’s resolution really?  I mean, how many times have we promised ourselves that we’ll stop eating chocolate, go the gym religiously or in general, be a better, kinder person?  Every year we make ourselves empty promises but the idea is to have a destination, a goal, the destination that we are moving forward as a human being and not staying stagnant.  While I am not the sequin-wearing, confetti throwing New Year’s Party Girl, I will say that I do consider the Resolution as I take on another new year.
This year, the 12th anniversary of my 29th New Year, I feel it is my responsibility to not be self-indulgent in my New Year’s Resolution.  I am a role model.  I am a friend, a sister, a daughter and most of all, a mother.  I have instilled in my children the thread of humanity and philanthropy that is not just a Christmas-time, spirit-moving gesture, but a part of every day life.  While I am a charitable person, emotionally, physically, monetarily, this is the year, 2011 that I am going to walk the walk with a new passion.
How many times have you gone out on a limb to help a friend? Bring dinner to an ailing aunt? Compliment your salesgirl on her magnificent smile?  Do you take your shopping cart back into the store after schlepping your groceries to your car?  I arrogantly, think I am the person that does all of the above but I started to wonder – do I do these things when I’m “in the mood” or is it really a part of my core?  How deep is my moral fiber?  This year I am going to find out.
My 2011 New Year’s Resolution is to share 365 consecutive days of “Random Acts of Kindness” – I can’t tell you today what they will be, because they will authentically be random but if you’d like to go on this journey with me I will see you here on January 1, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment