Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Thursday, March 17, 2011

3.17.11 - Trio of RAKs

Checking in again.....wow I really thought I could write each and every day and am really disappointed in myself that I haven't done it.  It's a nice way to end my day and I will try and do better.

Reflecting on the last three days:

March 15 & 16, 2011 --

Tuesday & Wednesday were the same RAK.....and it's something I've been doing for awhile.  "Someone" I know is quite the pack rat.  And when I say that it is bordering on hoarding it is not an exaggeration.  I spent Tues & Wed packing, moving, cleaning, purging and scolding/encouraging my pal as he is beginning to move out of a house he isn't even living in anymore.  It's been taking us months to get this done and we still have yet to finish.  In a way it is just hard for him to close the chapter of that part of his life. So many memories, so many, many, many things.  That is where I come in.  Trying to make someone understand that LESS is more, is close to impossible.  Things are just that --- things!  Buying more and more is almost like overeating. It is unhealthy and impulsive and wasteful. Some of his purchases were made out of disorganization but many were made to fill a void.  I hope as he has moved on into a better chapter of his life, and in our purging exercise SEES the excessive error of his ways, he will learn this lesson.

While I've been helping him for awhile I found it meaningful to write about it this week because this was the week I arranged to have St. Vincent DuPaul come with moving trucks to take his old belongings, clothes, furniture, etc. to their resale shop for them.  The proceeds for all sales will go to their organization.  I am certain this gift is the largest they have ever and will ever see.  Day 1 we filled an entire truck, which called for Day 2.  I am sure we will have a Day 3 in the future.  It felt so great to know that the gifts he gave will be spread throughout the city and that without my help it would never have happened.  It also made me want to go home and clean out my basement.

March 17, 2011 --

Today was a very sad day.  We said good-bye to a beautiful, gregarious, fun, intelligent woman, who was the partner of a good friend of ours. Her son also happens to be my son Shelby's best friend. It is so hard to help the ones you love when they are hurting -- you can give a donation and you can send flowers or dinner.  You can support them as they say good-bye and you can be a listening ear...but  I really wanted to share something special with Annie today to give her a smile and a happy memory of her true love so this morning as she prepared to say "good bye" I sent her a photograph of the two of them smiling as they enjoyed a party we had.  While it was a small token, I really think today's RAK goes to my son Shelby.  He has always been a special and sensitive boy and when I asked him if he wanted to come to Judith's funeral he said "of course I'm coming!"  It did not occur to him for even a second that he wouldn't be there for his friend.  He stayed with his friend and sat with him throughout the funeral, which impressed me immensely.  This was Shelby's first funeral, and being a sensitive child, I wasn't sure how he would do. Would he be scared? Would he cry? Would he get nervous?   He was so sad for Annie but tried to stay really calm for his friend's sake.  I am so proud to have an empathetic, loving child who knows how to cherish his friends....and what makes me the most proud is that it genuinely came from his own instincts and heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment