Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Friday, February 4, 2011

2.4.11 - An Apple for the Teacher

February 4, 2011

I still remember the first teacher who really believed in me. She was very pretty, with perfectly coiffed black hair, preppy clothes and smelled of the latest perfume.  I remember she kept her chalk in a plastic holder and I loved the rhythmic sound it made as she rolled it between her ring-clad hands as she lectured.  It used to remind me of rolling pins and cookie dough; I think I secretly wanted her to be my mother.

Her name was Mrs. Applebaum and she was my 7th grade English teacher.  I always felt special in her class because she constantly praised me for my perfect scores, my precise spelling, my grammar and my writing.  She often read my essays aloud and for the first time I really felt like I might be more than average.

Mrs. Applebaum made an impact on my life and as an adult I really wanted to express my gratitude.  A few years ago I "googled" her to send her a note to let her know how much her class meant to me and how writing has played a part in my life.  I never found her.

Today my RAK took my back.  While I have never found my teacher, I didn't want to wait thirty years to say "thank you" to a teacher that has made a difference in my child's life.  Mrs. K took notice of Shelby right away.  He was the one kid who understood her sense of humor, dissected her vocabulary and understood the words on a page in layers beyond his years.  I really appreciate her taking the time to challenge him and wanted her to know that her class is making a difference to him.  I am watching his self-esteem rise and an enthusiasm for writing that thrills me.  Just taking a few minutes to write her a note reminds me that we all shouldn't wait to say thank you to people that make a difference in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment