Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

1.25.11 - Time for Change

January 25, 2011

When I rush too much, I always get burned. It's the story of my life, yet it's a pattern I can't seem to change. To put a positive spin on this obvious flaw, I call it a "quirk" but in actuality it is annoying, rude and sometimes dangerous.

Today I met a friend for lunch and was running ten minutes behind. Finding parking in Birmingham during lunchtime is kind of like finding a diamond ring in the bottom of a box of Cheerios.  I was already cutting it close so imagine my surprise when a minivan pulled out of a spot at the exact moment I pulled in front of the restaurant.  Hmmm. Maybe this conscious RAK routine was paying me back. Maybe I should check the bottom of my cereal box.  I grabbed some change and threw it in the meter.  It read "33 minutes."  Knowing I'd never be done in half an hour I arrogantly ran inside the restaurant. After all, I'd abandoned many-a-meter over the years in B'ham and never been caught.

Halfway through lunch that karma bit me in the ass.  I saw the Parking Control Car creep past the window and just knew my luck had run out. My first instinct was to run outside and either bribe the parking patroller or maybe just flirt a little til' he destroyed my ticket, but in the end I decided I deserved the ticket.  Time to pay up --not to the B'ham Police (well, not yet anyway) but it was time to pay it forward. I took all the change out of my wallet and put it in my neighbor's meter.  I want my kharma back, please.

1 comment: