Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Sunday, January 9, 2011

1.9.11 - Hope in the Mail


January 9, 2011

Children.  Cancer.  Two words that should never go together.  Unfortunately, it is something I have seen a lot of in the last eight years through my role with a local organization called Queen/Hero for a Day.  Bringing special events to children coping with cancer and other life-threatening illness has shown me that just the smallest effort on our part can make a big difference.  Whether it is raising the self-esteem through a bedside manicure of a pre-teen girl, or bringing laughter to a little boy who has been cranky from too many needle pokes, it just takes a few minutes to help brighten their day. 


Today I heard the disappointing news that one of our “queens” has been told she is relapsing.  Our amazing group of volunteers, many of whom have never met this little girl, are already on the job. Through our “Happy Mail” program, we offer our love and encouragement in the hopes that our small token will bring a smile and lift her spirits. I just finished decorating my care package and I know I am not the only one.   If anyone is interested in sending her a card please contact me and I will send you her information.  

2 comments:

  1. You are the "Queen of Hearts". Thank you for setting such a wondeful example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. E -- that is so sweet. I have to say that YOU are one of the loveliest and most generous people I know. You never stop, even when you have too much on your plate! YOU are the example MRS. QUEEN!

    ReplyDelete