Follow the Kindness:

Follow the Kindness:
Click "Follow" on the toolbar above.

Quote of the Week

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~AesopFor attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey HepburnKind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother TeresaWhenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~GandhiIt is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil GibranChoose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1.4.11 - It's the Yeast We Can Do

January 4, 2011

Smile and the world smiles with you.  Isn’t that a song or something?  Today I shared a smile and made a nameless face a friend.  You see, I have never been a good cook.  What in the heck does that have to do with anything? Let me explain.


I don’t really cook (at least not well) but one of the things I do to make my house a home and make sure my family knows they are special is I buy fresh bread.  Two or three times a week I go to Dakota Bread to buy fresh challah.  If Shelby’s peanut butter sandwiches or Noah’s French toast were to ever be made with grocery store Wonder Bread I would take it as a personal failure.  It is a simple errand which transfers in my heart as a loving gesture.  It occurred to me today that while I have been going to Dakota Bread for the last ten years, at least twice a week, I have missed 1,040 opportunities to make a personal, human connection.  Today I changed that.  While it took a bit of courage, as I didn’t want to look like a stalker, I introduced myself to Sue, the lovely woman at the counter.    This is what I said – and I encourage you to try it.  “Hi!  I have been coming here for years and see you many times a week.  It occurred to me today that I have never known or asked you your name.  My name is Dena.”….That is all it took for a wonderful connection to begin.  My genuine effort transformed a sterile bread transaction into a warm conversation that will carry into the days and weeks to come. Challah at ya’ latah Sue.

No comments:

Post a Comment